Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Guess Who's Coming To Dinner? THE MOB!!!

Flickr.com Photo

When I was putting together my series of anti-Aramark columns a few years ago, columns that I hoped would serve as a "trail of bread crumbs" to future anti-Aramark activists, there was one online article which was the key to my research and confirmed what I'd suspected since working briefly for Aramark in the 1980s: Aramark has mob ties.

The article was called "Guess Who's Coming To Dinner? The Mob!" and I found it on an MIT website, which noted the article was "adapted from an earlier version that appeared in (sub)Tex, an underground newspaper publishing out of Austin, Texas.

Thank goodness this article never seems to disappear from the internet, unlike my series of opinion columns (arg! tear my hair! ARGGG!) because it contains key documentation in...

...the form of its source citations:

Passing the Bucks: The Contracting Out of Public Services (AFSCME) and a vague allusion to "The Wall Street Journal."

Yes, well, as I recall...when I wrote the column, I managed to locate the Wall Street Journal article by a citation in the AFSCME book. However, it is my intention to get those sources and put that stuff online verbatim, so anybody doing anti-Aramark research will have the information instantly, instead of being forced to dig in yellowed newspaper archives.

When that little underground newspaper in Austin, Texas put out that Aramark article...did they have any idea how long it would live, mutate, and keep having an impact?

I swear, it just makes me glad to wake up in the morning and be a blogger!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

did you ever manage to get this article scanned?